Gene Dalusong Page 46 I agree with Gene because he is showing how Mr. Dalton has power over Bigger . Mr. Dalton can make Bigger feel nervous and uneasy, causing Bigger to act unusual. Mr. Dalton, the colonizer, can give the job to Bigger or he can chose not to, depending on how he acts. Bigger had never communicated with a white person so he must have not known how to act. And since he was in a white man's house for an interview for a job, it made him feel worse.
Alejandro Diaz Page 52 I agree with Alejandro's response because now that Bigger has an official job, he won't have to go around stealing from people and he may now maintain a family. I believe once you make money, you can become a man and be more independent. His money has also now increased compared to when he was just stealing, so now he must be content with the job.
Deante Turner Page 63 I agree with Deante because the movies back then demonstrated why the whites were seen as superior to black people. But he was disappointed to find out this particular family wasn't as rich as the movies claim they are. Bigger possibly began to think they weren't so much superior to him anymore.
Juan Mora page 45 I disagree with Juan because though Bigger never was in a white neighborhood, it was just almost as he had seen in the movies. The neighborhood was fancy and only rich white people lived there, like the movies showed. My evidence is that Bigger, a poor black man, is feeling exposed and uncomfortable in the neighborhood alone. He knew that if a cop had seen him, the cop would have pulled him over and started questioning why he was there. Cops, the white, will automatically think he's there just to steal.
Gene Dalusong (Pg.46) As I read Gene’s response, I agree on what he says because as Gene says how “Bigger is trying to get a job and how he has to act proper because he’s black trying to get a job at a white house, at the Dalton’s”. I agree, because as a black person in the 1940’s, the white people were more superior and as Bigger was trying to get a job, he had to act properly in order to receive the job.
Genesis Rodriguez (Pg.54-55) When reading Genesis’s response, I agree with him because of the fact that he says how Bigger is acting towards white people, and how he says how Bigger has changed his point of view of the white people. For example, when Genesis says “…Bigger is seen the good side of Mr. Dalton and he is changing his mind about that thought he had over the white”. This shows, how Bigger at first didn’t like the white people and now that he is with them trying to get a job, Bigger realizes how good and nice they can really be. This also make me question if that’s how Bigger is acting, just to get the job?
Deante Turner (Pg.63) I agree with what Deante says on how Bigger expected a better and more expensive car from the Dalton’s, like he had seen in the movies. I say this, because Bigger had heard all of these rumors of how white people have very nice and expensive cars, and that is why when he had seen the Lincoln, he was kind of surprised he had not seen a more valuable car, but at the same time glad because it was still a nice car he would drive so he couldn’t complain. Also, when he says how Bigger didn’t know if touching his hat would be the right thing do. This made me question how when lower class people, like in this case Bigger, don’t know how to greet higher upper class people tend to do stuff or things they’re not used to, but why?
Jose Guardado (Pg.69) I agree with what Jose says when he says, “people with more power will win the revolution. But then won’t be any kind of discrimination over any group of people”. I agree with his saying, because when people come together black or white, color doesn’t matter no more and when they combine the power is unlimited. Unlimited, by the fact that one can help one another and come together more as a community and achieve more in life and start a new beginning of something positive.
Edvin Pablo (Pg. 70) I agree with Edvin’s quote, “Bigger wondered what Jack and Gus and G.H would say if they saw him sitting between two white people in a car like this?” This quote really made me feel myself in Bigger’s shoes and I agree with this, because it must be tough driving with two white people when before he used to tell his friends how much he hated them. This quote is powerful, because of the fact that, at first Bigger acted very violent and tough towards his friends to try to prove something, and now that he’s driving with two white people he questions himself on how they would speak on him. Foreshadowing, I think Bigger is not going to care as much, because now he has a job and now he can be able to help his family in need and also in becoming a man by the way he wants to and decides to work.
Larry Beasley Pg. 71 I find this to be a good response. It has a good explanation and connects it to the lense very well. I agree with this completely. Dont you also think this also involves his psychoanylitical lense also? considering that his ego is making him from going in to prevent being judged from other people considering that he has been judged a lot from his mother.
- Christopher Soto
------------------------------------------------
Dennis Garcia Pg. 51 I agree with what you have said about Bigger in the interview and how he is intimidated. I like how you connected the quote to postcolonial and explained how it was postcolonial. The image shows a lot about the quote and gives a clearer understanding of how Bigger feels when interviewed. I would also like to add that Bigger was scared and didnt want to make a choice which will get him in trouble, so this is his ego taking over and not his ID side.
- Christopher Soto
------------------------------------------------
Brandon Stocker Pg. 66 Can you please clarify how the summary you provided has anything to do with the actual quote? I find your summary completely off from the quote, I believe you wanted to add more of the quote. The quote talked about communist and how they are considered "Dangerous", but you talk about Bigger taking a job and driving Mary to the University. You need to add a quote of him talking about driving Mary or at least some type of words saying this. I would like to add to your quote that It is saying that it talks about the criticism on communist in the economy and not globally. It is saying that communist are considered bad and would cause pure destruction.
- Christopher Soto
------------------------------------------------
Edvin Pablo pg. 71 I like How you went deeper into the quote. I would suggest adding more of that part of the quote because the summary you gave gives more than what the quote actually says. Maybe adding the begginning of the piece where he denies the request to go eat. Your analysis is very vague, maybe you should have clarified what you mean by it being postcolonial. I believe this has something to do with psychoanalytical considering he doesnt want to be seen by his friends because he will loose all of his reputation. He uses his ego to make decisions because if he was to make the wrong one, he would loose a lot of reputation and he wouldnt want that.
Gene Dalusong (Pg.46) As I read Gene’s response, I agree on what he says because as Gene says how “Bigger is trying to get a job and how he has to act proper because he’s black trying to get a job at a white house, at the Dalton’s”. I agree, because as a black person in the 1940’s, the white people were more superior and as Bigger was trying to get a job, he had to act properly in order to receive the job.
Genesis Rodriguez (Pg.54-55) When reading Genesis’s response, I agree with him because of the fact that he says how Bigger is acting towards white people, and how he says how Bigger has changed his point of view of the white people. For example, when Genesis says “…Bigger is seen the good side of Mr. Dalton and he is changing his mind about that thought he had over the white”. This shows, how Bigger at first didn’t like the white people and now that he is with them trying to get a job, Bigger realizes how good and nice they can really be. This also make me question if that’s how Bigger is acting, just to get the job?
Deante Turner (Pg.63) I agree with what Deante says on how Bigger expected a better and more expensive car from the Dalton’s, like he had seen in the movies. I say this, because Bigger had heard all of these rumors of how white people have very nice and expensive cars, and that is why when he had seen the Lincoln, he was kind of surprised he had not seen a more valuable car, but at the same time glad because it was still a nice car he would drive so he couldn’t complain. Also, when he says how Bigger didn’t know if touching his hat would be the right thing do. This made me question how when lower class people, like in this case Bigger, don’t know how to greet higher upper class people tend to do stuff or things they’re not used to, but why?
Jose Guardado (Pg.69) I agree with what Jose says when he says, “people with more power will win the revolution. But then won’t be any kind of discrimination over any group of people”. I agree with his saying, because when people come together black or white, color doesn’t matter no more and when they combine the power is unlimited. Unlimited, by the fact that one can help one another and come together more as a community and achieve more in life and start a new beginning of something positive.
Edvin Pablo (Pg. 70) I agree with Edvin’s quote, “Bigger wondered what Jack and Gus and G.H would say if they saw him sitting between two white people in a car like this?” This quote really made me feel myself in Bigger’s shoes and I agree with this, because it must be tough driving with two white people when before he used to tell his friends how much he hated them. This quote is powerful, because of the fact that, at first Bigger acted very violent and tough towards his friends to try to prove something, and now that he’s driving with two white people he questions himself on how they would speak on him. Foreshadowing, I think Bigger is not going to care as much, because now he has a job and now he can be able to help his family in need and also in becoming a man by the way he wants to and decides to work.
Julio Cervantes PG. 54 I agree with the analysis of Julio’s quote as it is a clear example of Post Colonialism. I agree throughout this part of the story he felt the intangible inferiority between whites and blacks. I would also like to add to your analysis my own opinion of the quote “Bigger watched him with lowered eyes; he knew that Mr. Dalton was thinking something other than the paper.” That it also shows Bigger’s awareness of the presence of racial tension and that he believes it is such a big deal that it would play a factor in his eligibility for the job.
-Gene Dalusong
Karina Macias PG. 67 In response to what Karina said I believe bigger was just angry because he felt like the white man was forcibly trying to be kind towards him. He would find this offensive because he would believe the proper place between white and black men would be a mutual separation as he feels they are too different to truly coexist and being forceful is offensive.
-Gene Dalusong
Brandon Stalker PG. 66 Please clarify what part of the quote and your analysis has to do with communists. What part of the quote did your analysis show the Psychoanalytical lens. I would suggest you change this analysis into a Post Colonial one as when you said “they have for their society and the oppression of blacks and the fight for equal rights.” It is focused more towards the racial imbalance and oppression over the black population which would be categorized as Post Colonial in terms of analysis.
-Gene Dalusong
Larry Beasley PG. 71 I agree with Larry Beasley’s analysis of the quote he chose as it was definitely clear that he was uncomfortable being with two white people because he was black. I also agree that he did try to make any excuses he could to not join them without trying to make the obvious point of the racial differences.
Julio Cervantes (Pg 54) I agree with Julio’s response because he relates his quote to the Marxist and Postcolonial because as the Quote show when Mr. Dalton came back he put his head down showing that he was inferior to him and he had to show some sort of respect to him. Also this relates to the Marxist because his going to get a job from him so he a responsible n respectful plan. -Genesis Rodriguez
Dennis Garcia (Pg 51) As I read Dennis I related it to post colonial because he is an African American person and his “Boss” is white and as he has read and Experience thing he learn to take his place down under neither the white people because he seen that all his life. -Genesis Rodriguez
Deante Turner (Pg 63) as I was reading Deante page what struck me was that just because Mr. Dalton is a White Rich Man he wonders if he has a lot of money why doesn’t he have a great car not just a simple one. Bigger say this because as he saw movies he saw that all the white people have nice and great fantasy cars so he wonder why couldn’t he have one this show that they he expected many thing from the white offering for the job. -Genesis Rodriguez
Edvin Pablo (Pg 70) I like this quote that Edvin picked because now he is thinking about his friends what they would say if they saw me with two men what wound they thing. Bigger think this all of the sudden because he never thought when he was taking the job so why was he going to care now. Is he afraid of what they think after he picked a fight with Gus because he was scared of robbing the store? -Genesis Rodriguez
Genesis Rodriguez #55 “I agree with Genesis because he demonstrated good point about how Mrs. Dalton supports the Association. Also he shows that Mrs. Dalton isn’t racists because he was supporting his idea and it’s to stop the discrimination against to colored people.” by jeNNy
Heriberto Lorenzo #67 “Building on what Heriberto said about his quote because he said his quote it is postcolonial. And another hand, I think is postcolonial and Marxist lens and feminist lens.” My claim is they are different by color, social class and differences tip of family they have it. I would argue that you clarify more you evidence about how do they are different by the lens and what have they in common?
Gene Dalusong, page 46 I agree with Gene because Bigger is nervous trying to get the job and he is paranoid about anything ruining it for him. Also, the picture of the scary rope-bridge is good because it illustrates that if Bigger takes a wrong step or anything goes wrong he will just fall, in other words, he won't get the job.
Eberardo Lopez, page 50 I completely agree with Eberardo because the poor people see the rich as superior. In their heads, they are no where close to the rich people's status. And by not looking Mr.Dalton in the eyes he is showing that he isn't even in his level.
Brandon Stocker, page 66 I disagree with the lens you used for your analysis because it seems like you meant the Post Colonial Lens, not the Psychoanalytic Lens. If you wanted to use the psychoanalytic lens you should have referred to id, ego or superego.
Eloisa Diaz, page 72 Can you clarify how the quote relates to imagery a little more because there isn’t enough details. Juan Mora
Julio Cervantes, pg.54, I agree with Julio here. The author showing Bigger putting his head down and by giving him a feeling of nervousness shows that Bigger is inferior to Mr. Dalton and Bigger knows it. His reaction is almost by instinct, he sort of acts on his Id here. -Alejandro Diaz
Eloisa Diaz, pg.72, You should clarify a little more how this is connected to imagery in a way that all your readers understand what your trying to say here. You should also say more about you he is being stubborn. -Alejandro Diaz
Genesis Rodriguez, pg.55, You should talk more about how Bigger's views on Mr. Dalton and white people have changed. Also built more off of how the color green relates to the quote. -Alejandro Diaz
Jessica Lopez, pg.77, I agree that Bigger is taking advantage of the liqour in front of him but he is also drinking it to feel more comfortable and open up more around the white people. You should also talk more about why you thought Mary might have drank more than usural that night. -Alejandro Diaz
Lopez, Jessica Pg. 77 I have to point out on the assumption you made. I am not putting you down for it, but did he really take advantage of the situation? Or is he pressured? How did you come about this assumption? …Yes, I do agree that he does not have the sufficient money to get drunk at any given day, but that does not mean he took advantage of the situation. Is it safe to say that there is a possibility that he also drank along with them because he detested the presence of Mary since day one? Or maybe, that he wants to numb himself from the old world he came from to the new one that just began. The possibilities are endless. I just personally think that that should not be the general assumption. Think beyond what the text tries to say.
Ambriz, Valeria Pg. 78 “Wealthy white people are seen as decent people with manners that behave themselves” Is this a preconceived notion from the book or from you? Aren’t they also perceived as greedy, racist and evil to others that are below their level? “Also, women, rich white woman, are seen as house wives and respective women. Mary is contradicting that because she does what she wants behind her parents back and she even gets drunk with her boyfriend late at night.” I am pretty sure that other ethnicities aside from whites do this… I am almost positive that the book has not stated this. Let’s reflect back on film reel Bigger saw. The media depicted white rich women as cheaters. They are twofaced. Can you provide evidence to defend your opinion? The only rich white woman that has been introduced to us in the novel is Mrs. Dalton. Mrs. Dalton does not represent all rich white women.
Gomez, Conny Pg 79 In response to your summary, why do you think it was necessary for Jan and Mary to get drunk? Is it an escape? Or do they want Bigger to feel comfortable with them so that Bigger thinks that they too are humans like him? Also, why do you think Bigger joins them (as in, he drinks as well)?
Hernandez, Kassandra Pg. 80 Correction, Mary Dalton did not give Bigger the Communist pamphlets. It was Jan. I think you actually meant to say Jan instead of Mary because otherwise your summary would not make sense. This is how I understood what you summarized: 1) Mary gave Bigger the papers so he could read them on his spare time. 2) Bigger drove off. So in this case, Mary is no longer a passenger in the car. 3) Somehow, Mary is in the car again after he drove off. Now, he is taking her back home. 4) They both arrive home and Mary is drunk… Do you understand my point now?
Gene Dalusongure Page 46 I agree with Gene because bigger feel he have to act a certain way around white people.Bigger believe that the white people wants blacks to be submissive when in the presents of white people.I believe this made bigger feel less of a man but he did it anyways because he needed the money and he want to change the way he was living. at the end of the day Mr. Dalton had the power to give him or not give the job depending on how bigger was acting an how he would act when hired, therefore bigger knew what he had to do too get and keep the job. Syrice Daure
Larry Beasley Page 71 I agree because anytime you go somewhere you never been before you can tend to feel unwelcome or unwanted this can be an organic feeling because this happen to me a number of times ,so i can see why bigger feel out of place in a all white restaurant and him being the only black person in there to most this can be an odd scene, as you can see bigger feel unconfirtable when being the only blacks person aroumded by whites . Syrice Daure
Johnny Le page 73 in the response to the quote there a lot of good information written down but its unclear on the way its been written.I believe you should go over the response to the quote and make it more clear to understand your ideas and beliefs on your quote. Syrice Daure
Sabina Torres Page57 I agree because all white people dont act the same and you can see that in the story by Jan,Mary and Peggy they all show that ,that all whites dont act the same.in the story they show that they all care for bigger and what he do in life. Syrice Daure
I agree with Gene about Bigger being paranoid and afraid when he finally arrives to Dalton’s home. I can’t blame Bigger for acting that way because back then colored people were segregated from whites. This made it very awkward for Bigger to be in Dalton’s home asking for a job because his color might get in between them.
Eberardo Lopez (pg.50)
Building on what Eberardo said about Bigger not looking at Mr. Dalton’s eyes showing lower class, higher class, and who has more authority. I would like to add that Bigger can’t look at Dalton’s eyes because the fact that his white Bigger is very intimidated by him. An, Bigger is afraid of how they are going to treat him because of the racism that was going on at this time.
Julio Cervantes (pg.54)
I agree with Julio about someone who lowers their eyes and head shows that someone else is above them. But in the other hand this shows power, respect, and class. I think Bigger is doing a very good job on getting the job because that’s why his at Mr. Dalton’s house.
Deante Turner (pg.63)
I would like to add that Bigger’s response when he sees the car is not surprising because I would expect someone who is a millionaire to have a very fancy and expensive car. I also would like to ask if Bigger knows his job because he wasn’t sure how to greet Mary and just did what first came in mind.
deante turner pg 63. i feel what you saying bigger do think that all white people are rich until he meet dalton i havent read the story but from what i been hearing he's very steriotipical...tyree yiii
juan mora pg 45. yea burh he wasb spooked when hwe was in they hood i see i want to know what was going there his head when he was there it say he's scared but like what was the look on his face yaa dig...tyree
jenny pg 48 i dont get what you saying how was he intimadated you no you didnt right alot but i can kinda see what youy talking about and what do the pic mean...tyree
jessica lopez pg77 i fa show agree that he drink way to much he need to sloew he's on the verge were he can kill his self at a young age. it seem like he drink till he cant see and he smoke prolly 2 or 3 packs of ciggarets aye day
Buna Chan Pg. 63 I agree with Buna because of the fact that he did say that by driving the car he felt power and by saying that it was that men are stereotyped to be really into mechanics. But also I would argue that this quote has to do with the postcolonial lens because of the fact that bigger was a poor colored man in Chicago and by driving the car it will show that he has power because I’m guessing that back then colored people didn’t really get to drive cars a lot so, driving a car was a big step and it would show that he has the power to do so.
-Erika Lopez
Karina Macias Pg. 67 I agree with Karina because of she pointed out the postcolonial part of the quote by saying that bigger started getting mad because they were been rude to him and he started to get mad. I also would add that even though this book was based on the 1940’s this situation is still going on now days people is always judge based on skin color or race.
I agree with Christopher Soto because Bigger knew that he was in a place that eventually wasn't of his belongings. Bigger was afraid because he didn't know how Mr. Dalton would threat him having in mind that Bigger was a black person and Mr. Dalton was white. Also he was nervous because he didn't know if Mr. Dalton would give the job to him.
Dennis Garcia (page 51)
Building on what Dennis Garcia said Bigger was scared because he thought that Mr. Dalton will discover all his mistakes (delinquency acts) he had done by questioning him. It means that Mr. Dalton would refuse to hire Bigger. He also might be scared because he thought that Mr. Dalton would call the police and tell them that Bigger were a delinquent, so the officers would take him to jail.
Heriberto Lorenzo (page 67)
I agree with Heriberto Lorenzo because even thought Bigger is a black guy, he is building a relationship with a white man. Is normally that he is nervous and also confused because he almost never share words with white people, but now that he is working for a white family he would have to adapt to a new environment in which he would be rounded of white folks.
I agree with what you said because he expected Mary and Jan to be stuck up white people , like the rest. But he was confused on why they were so nice to him. He didnt know how to react, he kept thinking Mr.Dalton was watching his every move like it was all a setup to see how far Mary can push Bigger.
Larry Beasly ( Page 71 )
To build on what you said, Bigger was also afraid to walk in because thats a restaurant where he usually goes. When he walked in they all knew him , and he felt akward and suspicious on what they would think of him and being with a white men and women.
Sabina Torres (Page 57)
I totally agree with what your point is and why you chose postcolonial. Myself i feel that we are often stereotyped as minorities on not being smart enough or being able to meet white people standards. We often catch ourselves saying "talk white" in an interview or when writing a paper. I think that bigger has a problem with this because he doesnt want to make a mistake and say something Mr.Dalton wouldnt like so he barely says anything. All he says is "Yessum" , short responses.
Deante Turner ( Page 63)
Building on what you said he is always being very catious on what comes out his mouth and his actions.He will always give short responses like "yesssum". I beleive because he isnt trying to loose his job due to something he said or did . I think he also feels that they are very different type of people so he has to try to meet their standards and act shy or say nothing at all.
Juan Mora Pg 45 I agree with Juan because he showed how just because the movie shows this races in this way don’t mean that it is truly this real in reality, and that movies always show the typical types of race settings. Then when we see that a neighborhood is really not what’s in the movies that when we rally start to look back or take a step back and think why we just assumed that the movie setting is right.
Karina Macias Pg 67 To build on what you said when everyone is looked at in a piecing manner they start to self judge and wonder why they are being looked at in that way. And with that said when we start to self judge that is when we start to get angry at the fact we don’t really “comprehend” what it is we are trying to figure out, and then it becomes an internal conflict.
Jessica Lopez Pg 77 I totally agree with Jessica because it was true that bigger was not use to being around white people and was not use to people buying him drinks all though Mary and Jan bought the food they ate at that restaurant. I really agree with the fact he took advantage of them and drank with them anyways. With this it shows that if it’s free to him he would take it, or the opportunity.
Kassandra Hernandez Pg 80 I agree with Kassandra that Mary need Bigger’s help to get her out the car but I disagree that this means she is a dependant women. When people become drunk they do become dependant but that’s only because they are intoxicated, that quote where she was drunk doesn’t really show if in her everyday life she is truly independent or not.
I think you understood the concept of the quote well but I feel like there is something missing. I would suggest using more detail about why Bigger is confused and upset after shaking Jan's hand and how exactly does the color difference show postcolonial. I would have written about how bigger might feel that he is inferior to Jan because he is black. Question: Does Jan being White and Bigger being black make him feel inferior to Jan?
Jose G. (pg.69)
Good job paraphrasing but I think you need to remember to add which lens you are referring to when you do your annotation. I have a different point of view of the quote, I think that Bigger and his friends mean that they are going to have to deal with race issues but they will have there change in the future in which there will be no color or class issues. Question: Do you think if what they imagined actually happened would bigger and his friends be happy?
Edvin P. (pg.70)
I think you did well paraphrasing but suggest adding more detail to you annotation to the postcolonial lens. I understand what you were trying to say but felt that I just needed a little more of describing how the lens relates to Bigger being in the car with two white people. I would add that he felt uncomfortable because he felt that even though they think their equal he saw it as that he was being judged because of Bigger’s skin color. Question: Do you really feel like Bigger was being forced to?
Gene D. (pg.46)
I can understand the emotions that Bigger is feeling and how it deals with the postcolonial lens their color relationship but I am confused about the picture and how it fits in with the relationship between Bigger and Mr. Dalton.
Jennifer C. (pg.48)
I agree that he is using quit a bit of imagery in the quote but I think you should have talked a little more of what vivid ideas Bigger gives the reader relate to the picture more by letting us know how the picture relates to what Bigger was imagining.
Alejandro D. (pg.52)
I think you did a good job paraphrasing and using the Marxist lens but I think that you could have gone a little more in depth explaining how Bigger's new job would better his situation dealing with money.
Kassandra H. (pg. 80)
I get what you mean in your annotation but I can’t put my finger around when you say that this shows that she is dependant wouldn’t it be independent and I suggest you put the lens that you are talking about.
-Sabina Torres -57 -I agree with Sabina because everyone has to work hard to earn everything they need in their life, in this way there won’t be people at the street asking for money. I also agree with her about how people have to work with other people no matter if there are white people working with black people. -Jose Guardado
-Karina Macias -67 -I agree with Karina because everyone has values and other people have to respect it. But I also would argue that people don’t feel ignorant if other people act in different ways over other people. -Jose Guardado
-Larry Beasley -71 -Building on what Larry said I agree because a log time ago white people were separate from black people and when they were together they have a lot of problems in example is discrimination from white people to black people. -Jose Guardado
-Valeria Ambriz -78 -It would be good if you could clarify what you said about wealthy white people are seen as “decent people with manners.” It made me a little confused.
I agree with what Julio said because since Mr. Dalton is rich and white, Bigger feels as if Mr. Dalton is superior therefore Bigger shows that by watching him with lowered eyes rather then just looking at him straight into his eyes, and making direct contact. Also Bigger thinks he should act in a way that shows white people that they are in control just because they are upper class.
Edvin Pablo (pg.70)
I agree with Edvin that the quote is postcolonial but I disagree when he said “bigger doesn’t want to sit in the car with these two people but they make him and force him”. I disagree because Bigger wasn’t being forced; he was doing it because he wanted to and because he needed the money. Therefore Bigger already knew that was going to happen but still decided to go and ask for the job. I also disagree because Bigger never mentioned that he didn’t want to do it he was just thinking about what Jack and Gus and G.H would say but he never said it would be a bad thing.
Alejandro Diaz (pg.52)
I agree with Alejandro that this quote relates to the Marxist lens because now that Bigger has a job he won’t have to steal. Also now that he is going to get money he can help his family get out of poverty and go up the social class. Another good thing is that now as he helps his family he then is going to have more responsibility and that would help him mature and become a man.
Ms. Paraiso (pg.44)
I agree with Ms. Paraiso that it is imagery but it’s also psychoanalytic because Bigger thinks that by him having a gun it would make him more superior and therefore be able to have the guts to go to the white neighborhood and not freak out.
I agree with Karina (pg. 67) because it did seem like Jan and Mary were trying to confuse Bigger or make him feel uncomfortable because they were acting a little too friendly. On the other hand………. Bigger should not have expected them to be like white people were in the movies, so he had fault in feeling that way too.
Building on what Eberardo (pg. 50) was saying, Bigger didn’t know what to expect because he had never been in the presence of a rich white man and he didn’t know how he should have presented himself when he was approached.
Building on what Edvin (pg. 70) was saying, Bigger feels that Mary is taking advantage of him by making him pick up Jan and having them meet, so he could become uncomfortable.
Building on what Heriberto (pg. 67) was saying, Bigger called Jan “Sir” because that’s how he thought he was supposed to speak to a white man. But Jan wanted Bigger to call him by his name instead of sir because he thought that blacks and white were equal
Christopher Soto P 47 I agree with Christopher Soto about Bigger’s uncomfortable attitude in the house in the way he acted in an uneasy situation. It was his first time being in a white home, first time meeting Mr. Dalton, and at this time there were a lot differences between whites and African Americans by social, economic, and lifestyle terms. He also assumed he wasn’t equal to Mr. Dalton.
Alejandro Diaz P 52 I agree with Alejandro Diaz. Bigger was a robber before he got the job with a white rich family. Marxist-lens plays a important role on each individual like for instance: Bigger didn’t think anymore about robbing people or things like that, instead he started being a good person with a formal, legitimate job.
Heriberto Lorenzo P 67 I agree with Heriberto. This happened a half century ago so at that time the effects of postcolonial were prevalent. It was rare the times you did see whites and blacks together. That’s why Bigger got confused when Jan (white) talked to him in a friendly way, and treating him like an equal.
Valeria Ambriz P 78 I agree with this student’s statement about Feminist/Marxist-lens. Mary belonged to a rich family so having that she automatically had the possibilities to have and to do whatever she wished. For instance, she said that she went with her boyfriend to Florida and had fun. In addition, at that moment she said that she was with her boyfriend drinking and enjoying her good life, which was possible because she was white and rich.
Sabina Torres, (56), Good point i think that is related to postcolonial lens because mary explains how they have helped the colored folks, and for color folks is the same as working for them to survive and eat, but have you thought that this quote also relates to Marxist lens, because Mary has worked in that house for 20 years and probably with good pay, just like Bigger is going to get $25, maybe people stay in the same place because people respect them, and pay them good money, just like the Daltons treat Mary. The more they pay you the longer you will stay. If you need the money to survive like you said then you will stay in that same place, and not move to other jobs. Also by what the quote says, "A rolling stone gathers no money", can mean that if you constantly move from jobs you don’t gather moss, have you thought that moss is green so it can represent money. -Eberardo
Karina Macias, (67), Building on what you have the understanding of your quote that he was angry toward Miss Dalton and Jan because he couldn’t understand what there intentions toward him, because they were acting weird and polite the couldn’t understand. I think that because you didn’t explain what focus you can relate it to postcolonial because higher level class toward lower class communication is bad they usually dont talk to them, and act angry to them, but in this case with bigger they are acting polite toward his and his confuse because he thought white people were different. so you can think about that. - Eberardo
Edvin Pablo Pg. 70 I agree that is post colonial that Bigger is kind of being force to sit in the car with Mary and Jan, but I think him actually driving them around in the car, proves that have more power than Bigger to tell him what to do. He feels embarrass because he doesn’t his friends him driving the rich white people around.
I agree with Valeria saying that it’s not “normal” for rich white women to act inappropriate around people. This just shows that Mary isn’t what she seems. She’s an outspoken girl that fights for her opinion, and gets into trouble as well.
Kassandra Hernandez Pg.80 I agree that Mary is depending on Bigger to carry her in the house. She shouldn’t been so reckless about drinking when she knows she suppose to be at the University. Would if her father was there to see at this state? He will probably blame Bigger and fire him because of her actions.
Jose Guardado Pg. 69 I agree but with power that people can win the revolution, but the quote seems like a post colonial lens. Showing when the Communist wins the revolution, the people with the less power, will have the same power as the people that’s on top of the world. It reminds me of the colonist fighting the Revolutionary War so they can be independent and have rights for the citizens.
Ebany Depron – (P. 74): Yes, he could have just done it to get with “the mood,” but what could closely be looked at is the difference between them and the social contradictions as the reason to why he drank. Since he was black and Mary and Jan were white, maybe he just drank because they kept asking him to. A perspective on it is looking at it in a sort of postcolonial point of view where Jan and Mary were paying for the food and drinks and Bigger was merely pulled to tag along. It can be seen that the difference in economic status between Bigger and Jan and Mary. Looking back, why didn’t he just not go in with them in the first place and disregard her crying?
-Buna Chan
Juan Mora – (P. 45): Because of how he realized that it wasn’t like what he had seen in the movies, what psychological effects may this have had on him? It would come to thought that if it was exactly like what he had seen, he would have been a little bit more intimidated than how he felt since it WASN’T like the movies. The matter of him just realizing that it wasn’t like the movies doesn’t necessarily define the application of the postcolonial lens because as I look at it, the scenery of this part actually was what depicted the psychoanalytical lens. The way the surroundings around him had made the excited feelings he felt disappear really portrays the invocation of his superego and whether it was right for him to be in such a community.
-Buna Chan
Dennis Garcia – (P. 51): It’s actually more about the psychoanalytic lens. The uneasy feelings are having him use his ego to determine what he should do next. Whether or not if what he is doing or what he would do was right. At the same time, his id breaks out when he tries to find his paper in his vest pockets. The way the author describes him acting trying to find it sort of portrays that “animalistic” side of him breaking loose.
-Buna Chan
Catalina Mendoza – (P. 53): It can be seen that it’s not too much on imagery, but an emphasis of the feminist lens. The author really depicts the father as in power and super business official-like. Mary is being nosy and Mr. Dalton asks her to leave them to their interview. This shows the emphasis of male supremacy where the business and job stuff is supposed to be a male role of a job. Also, the way the author portrays her way of speech; it makes it seem like the author is portraying the female stereotype of women or girls not supposed to be meddling in a man’s business.
I appreciate the picture Brenda Reyes-Munoz chose because it captures the imagery of the deer in the headlights. I question if Bigger really might be anxious on Mr. Dalton’s next decision. He might just be petting the cat because he wants to and not meant to scare Bigger.
I question why Juan Mora does not have a picture for his episodic note. I think that it would help me to understand more of his thoughts on the quote chosen. I’d like to add that Juan could have also stated that many people expect more than what they should not expect.
I somewhat like the image shown in Dennis Garcia’s episodic notes, but the image could have shown an African American being observed and it might have made a better point. People in power do try to intimidate others who they feel are below them although Mr. Dalton was probably just waiting for an answer and not trying to “scare the black off” of Bigger.
I understand the point that Julio Cervantes is making about Bigger and Mr. Dalton’s situation. It is like a Master and slave situation; the Master is the king of the jungle and Bigger is a little mouse running from a cat. I appreciate the picture chosen because it shows a sign of anxiety and stress.
I agree with Heriberto Lorenzo claim because he shows knowledge of cultural relations. I disagree with him because how could shaking hands with a white guy make you mad or confused.
I agree with Dennis Garcia because he says that “Bigger felt uneasy about being in an interview with Mr. Dalton.” This show that he really understands what bigger is going through inside.
Alejandro Diaz should elaborate more on how Mr. Dalton asks bigger a question. He should say what Biggers answer was to the question. Knowing the answer to the question may or may not change Mr. Daltons point of view of bigger.
I disagree with Jennifer Castillo because I don’t know how you can be intimidated by a older women. On the other hand I do agree with her because he does show a vivid image of the women and her eyes.
Christopher Soto, (p.47). To build on what you said, I definitely agree that Bigger did feel uncomfortable being around white people and also getting a white man as a boss. It can bring him a though of slavery since he would always be talking about how white people are racist. –Jessica Lopez
Eberardo Lopez, (p.50). I agree with Eberardo because when ever someone doesn’t look at the other persons face when talking they are either ashamed of something or they feel inferior to the other person. It can be either based on ones economic or social status. –Jessica Lopez
Brenda Reyes Munoz (p.49). To build on what Brenda said, I do agree that Bigger had been feeling very restless having Mr.Dalton around and as a future boss but when his cap feel off that didn’t stop his feeling of uneasiness but he also had a greater embarrassment towards him not only to keep him waiting but also making him feel as a klutz. –Jessica Lopez
Julio Cervantes (p.54). I agree with what Julio is saying because it definitely shows how intimidated Bigger feeling being around white people and above all because they are rich. To him money is power, power that he wants and that he envies from white people. Being in his position makes him feel as though hi is less of a person because of his economic and social status. –Jessica Lopez
Gene Delusong Pg.46 I disagree with Gene because Bigger is feeling uncomfortable and thinks he is going to slip because he is in a white man’s house. Since Bigger does not like whites, it’s like he is being a hypocrite because he is taking a job from him. Also, Bigger is not used to being in a white mans house, he does not want to dirty his house and loose the job.
Chris Soto Pg.47 I agree with Chris Soto that Bigger is uncomfortable sitting in the chair because he is in a man’s white house. Building on what he said, I can relate to Bigger feeling uncomfortable with a personal experience. When I went to my sister in laws house for the first time, I felt uncomfortable because they were “othering” me, by speaking in their Cambodian language. I felt very uncomfortable in their house, however, if they were speaking my native language Spanish, I would have felt comfortable, because I know Spanish.
Jennifer Castillo Pg.48 Your annotation was simple and greatly put together. I would add that Bigger is assuming the old lady is blind, and was frightened because he may have never seen a blind lady. I would argue that Bigger had an imagination of his own, visualizing the lady as a ghost because of her white hair.
Deante Turner Pg. 63 I disagree that Bigger was judging white people based on what he had seen in the theater because Bigger knows how whites are based on the community he lives in and perhaps personal experience. The movie was just an idea of how some whites are, but not exactly all whites. I would argue that Bigger is confused about whites, because he personally thought that all whites are the same, and now seeing that Mary was not acting like she was at first, he does not know how what to think about whites.
I agree with Christopher Soto, that Bigger is uncomfortable in his surroundings since he is around white people. To start with Bigger has never liked white people and now him being in there presence made him feel like if they were looking down on and made him feel more uncomfortable since he was going to be his new boss. –Kassandra Hernandez
I do not agree with Sabina Torres, because there is other ways colored people can make a living not just by working with white people. Although this is how it is shown in the book because for Bigger it was either staying jobless or going to work with Mr. Dalton. –Kassandra Hernandez
I agree with Larry Beasley, because like you said, colored people weren’t seen with white people. And still nowadays I still don’t see that many white people with black people. But if he did not want to go in why did he go in at the end. Was he scared of people looking at him and later on judging him about whop he was? Over all your analysis was clear and good. -Kassandra Hernandez
I agree with Eberardo Lopez, because like he said lower class people do look at the higher class more powerful. Bigger not looking into Mr. Dalton’s eyes made it feel as if he was lower than him. Mr. Dalton is superior to Bigger. (Referring to white people are more powerful than colored people.) -Kassandra Hernandez
Christopher Soto Page 47 Why does Bigger feel scared in the white house? Has he done anything bad to them? The fact that Bigger seems out of place is reasonably. But why does he feel scared? It doesn’t make sense at all. In the middle of the chapter why found out that he has never done anything wrong to the white people because he could be in a horrible situation. Is he sacred that he might do something that could cost him a lot in the future.
Brenda Reyes Page 49 The fact that Bigger is trembling makes lots of sense because he is in the spotlight. The metaphor used is very relevant, Bigger anxiety is watched from his about to become new boss. The driver or the new boss is debating either to have the deer live or in this case to give Bigger his job. I totally understand what you are saying but does Bigger’s anxiety toward this small situation affect him in the long run?
Karina Macias Page 67 All thru out the first part of the book the black males and females make the white seem evil toward the blacks. Bigger has grown up in this society so it doesn’t surprise me see him dwell on this situation. What does surprise me is that Karina had a good anaylsis on what their true intensions were. I believe that they need people to join their party and saw that blacks could do all the nasty work and they would be caught instead of the whites who organize it.
Jessica Lopez Page 77 He doesn’t only take it because he wants to take advantage of them maybe he was scared that he might be fired over it. He felt left out so he decided to accompany them in their little fun. But he might not feel good about it later.
Eberardo Lopez: (pg 50) I disagree with Eberardo because there could be many reasons why Bigger would be looking down at the floor instead of looking at Mr. Dalton’s eyes while talking to him. Instead of Bigger being intimidated about the difference in their financial status, he might just be really nervous about the interview maybe because that he’s scared that he might not get the job and he needs the job in order to help support himself and his family.
Genesis Rodriguez: (pg 55) He says that Mr. Dalton is changing Bigger’s mind about white people. What did Bigger think about white peoples’ before and who can provide some evidence that his mind is changing? Also, what organization does Mr. Dalton run that has to do with Black/African American people?
Sabina Torres: (pg 57) I disagree with Sabina because it’s not only “White” people who runs’ things which people work for, but people of every race runs things that different people work for. But I do agree that people have to put up with all of the hard work that comes toward them and keep going on with it in order to live life everyday. I would argue that they wouldn’t have to live like that with all of the hard work that don’t like if they finish school, go to college, and have a career that they love to do.
Larry Beasley: (pg 71) My claim to what Larry said is that Bigger would feel awkward going into a restaurant with two white people maybe because of what people would say about him. In this time period, people would criticize him for being black and on top of that, people would criticize Mr. and Mrs. Dalton for bringing a black guy in the restaurant with them. He may not have wanted to make the Daltons’ look bad and have other people talking about them.
***POSTED BY MS. P, ON BEHALF OF VALERIA AMBRIZ***
Brandon Stalker (Pg.66): In reading your response it made me think about the Post Colonial lens rather than Psychoanalytic. This is because I see Jan as trying to take over the colonized people and create his own type of government. The violence that is happening to try to get what he wants is like a war that has to happen in order for the Communist party to win.
Gene Dulasong (Pg.46) Adding to what Gene said, I think that Bigger thought that Mr. Dalton was expecting him to act “black”, so Bigger tried his best to be proper, so there wouldn’t be any excuse for him to not get the job. It shows that the person giving someone else a job has more power, and the person that wants the job has to make the boss like them and do anything that they tell them to do.
Christopher Soto (Pg.47) I agree with Christopher because he was nervous about going to a white neighborhood so that he could get to the Daltons house. Another way that I can tell that he was uncomfortable and didn’t feel safe was because he took his gun incase something happened even though he knew he didn’t need it. He also got angry just because he couldn’t decide if he should go in through the front or back door.
Dennis Garcia (Pg.51) I disagree with Dennis. I believe that giving a person a job doesn’t mean that they are superior. To me it was more like the Marxist lens, because Bigger is trying to make a living for his family, so he accepts the job that they offered him. He is trying to get money so his family can have a better life than they have.
ON BEHALF OF Pablo Calderon: Karina Macias Page 67 I agree with Karina because, when Mary and Jan were acting like that to Bigger, I think that they were trying to make fun of him, make Bigger feel uncomfortable or inferior they were trying to make Bigger feel that they are the best. Conny Gomez Page 79 I disagree with Conny because, when Jan gave the booklet to Bigger, the booklet could be about communism and Bigger could think that Jan wanted to see him involved in communism, so Jan wanted Bigger to see what communists do and make him a member of the Communist Party. If Bigger read that Communist’s help people he might get in the association. Jennifer Castillo Page 48 I agree with Jenny because, Mrs. Dalton was white and she had white hair, Bigger described her as a ghost because he wanted to give the readers an idea of what she looks like. Because she was blind and she did not look at the person that she was talking to she was only standing there and not moving at all. Catalina Mendoza Page 53 I disagree whit Catalina because, when Mary asked Bigger if he likes unions, Bigger was trying to get a job and when Mary asked him about unions he wanted to kill him because Bigger thinks that unions are filled with all communists are no good and he could go crazy. ----Pablo Calderon
I can relate to Brenda's quote due to the fact that I have been in that situation many times especially when it comes to getting ready for work. i can have to have eevrything ready to go to work and i have to make sure that i have all my work uniform ready. its habititual of me to lose my name tag and i know how strict my managers are bout that..but i finally find it i feel like a rock has been taken off my shoulder. -Sabina Torres-
Hebierto Lorenzo pg67
im puzzled on how this quote is focused on post colonial lens. Can Hebierto elaborate on it more and why makes him feel mad and confused at time when he shook hands with Jan? -Sabina Torres-
Sheila Blandon Pg.65
I stronlgy agree on what Sheila says about women being covert and clarify the definition of it for those who don't know the meaning of the word. i can say as a young women that the only way for me to get what i want is by being covert. -Sabina Torres-
Edvin Pablo pg.70
i can also relate this quote to a different lens which is the marixts lens. i can see how Bigger is the chauffer and Jan and Mary being the high authority. Bigger is working for the Dalton's shows that he a lower class man.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGene Dalusong
ReplyDeletePage 46
I agree with Gene because he is showing how Mr. Dalton has power over Bigger . Mr. Dalton can make Bigger feel nervous and uneasy, causing Bigger to act unusual. Mr. Dalton, the colonizer, can give the job to Bigger or he can chose not to, depending on how he acts. Bigger had never communicated with a white person so he must have not known how to act. And since he was in a white man's house for an interview for a job, it made him feel worse.
Alejandro Diaz
Page 52
I agree with Alejandro's response because now that Bigger has an official job, he won't have to go around stealing from people and he may now maintain a family. I believe once you make money, you can become a man and be more independent. His money has also now increased compared to when he was just stealing, so now he must be content with the job.
Deante Turner
Page 63
I agree with Deante because the movies back then demonstrated why the whites were seen as superior to black people. But he was disappointed to find out this particular family wasn't as rich as the movies claim they are. Bigger possibly began to think they weren't so much superior to him anymore.
Juan Mora
page 45
I disagree with Juan because though Bigger never was in a white neighborhood, it was just almost as he had seen in the movies. The neighborhood was fancy and only rich white people lived there, like the movies showed. My evidence is that Bigger, a poor black man, is feeling exposed and uncomfortable in the neighborhood alone. He knew that if a cop had seen him, the cop would have pulled him over and started questioning why he was there. Cops, the white, will automatically think he's there just to steal.
-DENNIS GARCIA
Gene Dalusong (Pg.46)
ReplyDeleteAs I read Gene’s response, I agree on what he says because as Gene says how “Bigger is trying to get a job and how he has to act proper because he’s black trying to get a job at a white house, at the Dalton’s”. I agree, because as a black person in the 1940’s, the white people were more superior and as Bigger was trying to get a job, he had to act properly in order to receive the job.
Genesis Rodriguez (Pg.54-55)
When reading Genesis’s response, I agree with him because of the fact that he says how Bigger is acting towards white people, and how he says how Bigger has changed his point of view of the white people. For example, when Genesis says “…Bigger is seen the good side of Mr. Dalton and he is changing his mind about that thought he had over the white”. This shows, how Bigger at first didn’t like the white people and now that he is with them trying to get a job, Bigger realizes how good and nice they can really be. This also make me question if that’s how Bigger is acting, just to get the job?
Deante Turner (Pg.63)
I agree with what Deante says on how Bigger expected a better and more expensive car from the Dalton’s, like he had seen in the movies. I say this, because Bigger had heard all of these rumors of how white people have very nice and expensive cars, and that is why when he had seen the Lincoln, he was kind of surprised he had not seen a more valuable car, but at the same time glad because it was still a nice car he would drive so he couldn’t complain. Also, when he says how Bigger didn’t know if touching his hat would be the right thing do. This made me question how when lower class people, like in this case Bigger, don’t know how to greet higher upper class people tend to do stuff or things they’re not used to, but why?
Jose Guardado (Pg.69)
I agree with what Jose says when he says, “people with more power will win the revolution. But then won’t be any kind of discrimination over any group of people”. I agree with his saying, because when people come together black or white, color doesn’t matter no more and when they combine the power is unlimited. Unlimited, by the fact that one can help one another and come together more as a community and achieve more in life and start a new beginning of something positive.
Edvin Pablo (Pg. 70)
I agree with Edvin’s quote, “Bigger wondered what Jack and Gus and G.H would say if they saw him sitting between two white people in a car like this?” This quote really made me feel myself in Bigger’s shoes and I agree with this, because it must be tough driving with two white people when before he used to tell his friends how much he hated them. This quote is powerful, because of the fact that, at first Bigger acted very violent and tough towards his friends to try to prove something, and now that he’s driving with two white people he questions himself on how they would speak on him. Foreshadowing, I think Bigger is not going to care as much, because now he has a job and now he can be able to help his family in need and also in becoming a man by the way he wants to and decides to work.
Larry Beasley
ReplyDeletePg. 71
I find this to be a good response. It has a good explanation and connects it to the lense very well. I agree with this completely. Dont you also think this also involves his psychoanylitical lense also? considering that his ego is making him from going in to prevent being judged from other people considering that he has been judged a lot from his mother.
- Christopher Soto
------------------------------------------------
Dennis Garcia
Pg. 51
I agree with what you have said about Bigger in the interview and how he is intimidated. I like how you connected the quote to postcolonial and explained how it was postcolonial. The image shows a lot about the quote and gives a clearer understanding of how Bigger feels when interviewed. I would also like to add that Bigger was scared and didnt want to make a choice which will get him in trouble, so this is his ego taking over and not his ID side.
- Christopher Soto
------------------------------------------------
Brandon Stocker
Pg. 66
Can you please clarify how the summary you provided has anything to do with the actual quote? I find your summary completely off from the quote, I believe you wanted to add more of the quote. The quote talked about communist and how they are considered "Dangerous", but you talk about Bigger taking a job and driving Mary to the University. You need to add a quote of him talking about driving Mary or at least some type of words saying this. I would like to add to your quote that It is saying that it talks about the criticism on communist in the economy and not globally. It is saying that communist are considered bad and would cause pure destruction.
- Christopher Soto
------------------------------------------------
Edvin Pablo
pg. 71
I like How you went deeper into the quote. I would suggest adding more of that part of the quote because the summary you gave gives more than what the quote actually says. Maybe adding the begginning of the piece where he denies the request to go eat. Your analysis is very vague, maybe you should have clarified what you mean by it being postcolonial. I believe this has something to do with psychoanalytical considering he doesnt want to be seen by his friends because he will loose all of his reputation. He uses his ego to make decisions because if he was to make the wrong one, he would loose a lot of reputation and he wouldnt want that.
- Christopher Soto
Gene Dalusong (Pg.46)
ReplyDeleteAs I read Gene’s response, I agree on what he says because as Gene says how “Bigger is trying to get a job and how he has to act proper because he’s black trying to get a job at a white house, at the Dalton’s”. I agree, because as a black person in the 1940’s, the white people were more superior and as Bigger was trying to get a job, he had to act properly in order to receive the job.
Genesis Rodriguez (Pg.54-55)
When reading Genesis’s response, I agree with him because of the fact that he says how Bigger is acting towards white people, and how he says how Bigger has changed his point of view of the white people. For example, when Genesis says “…Bigger is seen the good side of Mr. Dalton and he is changing his mind about that thought he had over the white”. This shows, how Bigger at first didn’t like the white people and now that he is with them trying to get a job, Bigger realizes how good and nice they can really be. This also make me question if that’s how Bigger is acting, just to get the job?
Deante Turner (Pg.63)
I agree with what Deante says on how Bigger expected a better and more expensive car from the Dalton’s, like he had seen in the movies. I say this, because Bigger had heard all of these rumors of how white people have very nice and expensive cars, and that is why when he had seen the Lincoln, he was kind of surprised he had not seen a more valuable car, but at the same time glad because it was still a nice car he would drive so he couldn’t complain. Also, when he says how Bigger didn’t know if touching his hat would be the right thing do. This made me question how when lower class people, like in this case Bigger, don’t know how to greet higher upper class people tend to do stuff or things they’re not used to, but why?
Jose Guardado (Pg.69)
I agree with what Jose says when he says, “people with more power will win the revolution. But then won’t be any kind of discrimination over any group of people”. I agree with his saying, because when people come together black or white, color doesn’t matter no more and when they combine the power is unlimited. Unlimited, by the fact that one can help one another and come together more as a community and achieve more in life and start a new beginning of something positive.
Edvin Pablo (Pg. 70)
I agree with Edvin’s quote, “Bigger wondered what Jack and Gus and G.H would say if they saw him sitting between two white people in a car like this?” This quote really made me feel myself in Bigger’s shoes and I agree with this, because it must be tough driving with two white people when before he used to tell his friends how much he hated them. This quote is powerful, because of the fact that, at first Bigger acted very violent and tough towards his friends to try to prove something, and now that he’s driving with two white people he questions himself on how they would speak on him. Foreshadowing, I think Bigger is not going to care as much, because now he has a job and now he can be able to help his family in need and also in becoming a man by the way he wants to and decides to work.
-Julio Cervantes
Julio Cervantes
ReplyDeletePG. 54
I agree with the analysis of Julio’s quote as it is a clear example of Post Colonialism. I agree throughout this part of the story he felt the intangible inferiority between whites and blacks. I would also like to add to your analysis my own opinion of the quote “Bigger watched him with lowered eyes; he knew that Mr. Dalton was thinking something other than the paper.” That it also shows Bigger’s awareness of the presence of racial tension and that he believes it is such a big deal that it would play a factor in his eligibility for the job.
-Gene Dalusong
Karina Macias
PG. 67
In response to what Karina said I believe bigger was just angry because he felt like the white man was forcibly trying to be kind towards him. He would find this offensive because he would believe the proper place between white and black men would be a mutual separation as he feels they are too different to truly coexist and being forceful is offensive.
-Gene Dalusong
Brandon Stalker
PG. 66
Please clarify what part of the quote and your analysis has to do with communists. What part of the quote did your analysis show the Psychoanalytical lens. I would suggest you change this analysis into a Post Colonial one as when you said “they have for their society and the oppression of blacks and the fight for equal rights.” It is focused more towards the racial imbalance and oppression over the black population which would be categorized as Post Colonial in terms of analysis.
-Gene Dalusong
Larry Beasley
PG. 71
I agree with Larry Beasley’s analysis of the quote he chose as it was definitely clear that he was uncomfortable being with two white people because he was black. I also agree that he did try to make any excuses he could to not join them without trying to make the obvious point of the racial differences.
-Gene Dalusong
Julio Cervantes (Pg 54)
ReplyDeleteI agree with Julio’s response because he relates his quote to the Marxist and Postcolonial because as the Quote show when Mr. Dalton came back he put his head down showing that he was inferior to him and he had to show some sort of respect to him. Also this relates to the Marxist because his going to get a job from him so he a responsible n respectful plan.
-Genesis Rodriguez
Dennis Garcia (Pg 51)
As I read Dennis I related it to post colonial because he is an African American person and his “Boss” is white and as he has read and Experience thing he learn to take his place down under neither the white people because he seen that all his life.
-Genesis Rodriguez
Deante Turner (Pg 63) as I was reading Deante page what struck me was that just because Mr. Dalton is a White Rich Man he wonders if he has a lot of money why doesn’t he have a great car not just a simple one. Bigger say this because as he saw movies he saw that all the white people have nice and great fantasy cars so he wonder why couldn’t he have one this show that they he expected many thing from the white offering for the job.
-Genesis Rodriguez
Edvin Pablo (Pg 70) I like this quote that Edvin picked because now he is thinking about his friends what they would say if they saw me with two men what wound they thing. Bigger think this all of the sudden because he never thought when he was taking the job so why was he going to care now. Is he afraid of what they think after he picked a fight with Gus because he was scared of robbing the store?
-Genesis Rodriguez
Genesis Rodriguez
ReplyDelete#55
“I agree with Genesis because he demonstrated good point about how Mrs. Dalton supports the Association. Also he shows that Mrs. Dalton isn’t racists because he was supporting his idea and it’s to stop the discrimination against to colored people.”
by jeNNy
Heriberto Lorenzo
#67
“Building on what Heriberto said about his quote because he said his quote it is postcolonial. And another hand, I think is postcolonial and Marxist lens and feminist lens.” My claim is they are different by color, social class and differences tip of family they have it. I would argue that you clarify more you evidence about how do they are different by the lens and what have they in common?
Gene Dalusong, page 46
ReplyDeleteI agree with Gene because Bigger is nervous trying to get the job and he is paranoid about anything ruining it for him. Also, the picture of the scary rope-bridge is good because it illustrates that if Bigger takes a wrong step or anything goes wrong he will just fall, in other words, he won't get the job.
Eberardo Lopez, page 50
I completely agree with Eberardo because the poor people see the rich as superior. In their heads, they are no where close to the rich people's status. And by not looking Mr.Dalton in the eyes he is showing that he isn't even in his level.
Brandon Stocker, page 66
I disagree with the lens you used for your analysis because it seems like you meant the Post Colonial Lens, not the Psychoanalytic Lens. If you wanted to use the psychoanalytic lens you should have referred to id, ego or superego.
Eloisa Diaz, page 72
Can you clarify how the quote relates to imagery a little more because there isn’t enough details.
Juan Mora
Julio Cervantes, pg.54, I agree with Julio here. The author showing Bigger putting his head down and by giving him a feeling of nervousness shows that Bigger is inferior to Mr. Dalton and Bigger knows it. His reaction is almost by instinct, he sort of acts on his Id here. -Alejandro Diaz
ReplyDeleteEloisa Diaz, pg.72, You should clarify a little more how this is connected to imagery in a way that all your readers understand what your trying to say here. You should also say more about you he is being stubborn. -Alejandro Diaz
Genesis Rodriguez, pg.55, You should talk more about how Bigger's views on Mr. Dalton and white people have changed. Also built more off of how the color green relates to the quote. -Alejandro Diaz
Jessica Lopez, pg.77, I agree that Bigger is taking advantage of the liqour in front of him but he is also drinking it to feel more comfortable and open up more around the white people. You should also talk more about why you thought Mary might have drank more than usural that night. -Alejandro Diaz
Lopez, Jessica
ReplyDeletePg. 77
I have to point out on the assumption you made. I am not putting you down for it, but did he really take advantage of the situation? Or is he pressured? How did you come about this assumption? …Yes, I do agree that he does not have the sufficient money to get drunk at any given day, but that does not mean he took advantage of the situation. Is it safe to say that there is a possibility that he also drank along with them because he detested the presence of Mary since day one? Or maybe, that he wants to numb himself from the old world he came from to the new one that just began. The possibilities are endless. I just personally think that that should not be the general assumption. Think beyond what the text tries to say.
Ambriz, Valeria
Pg. 78
“Wealthy white people are seen as decent people with manners that behave themselves”
Is this a preconceived notion from the book or from you? Aren’t they also perceived as greedy, racist and evil to others that are below their level?
“Also, women, rich white woman, are seen as house wives and respective women. Mary is contradicting that because she does what she wants behind her parents back and she even gets drunk with her boyfriend late at night.”
I am pretty sure that other ethnicities aside from whites do this… I am almost positive that the book has not stated this. Let’s reflect back on film reel Bigger saw. The media depicted white rich women as cheaters. They are twofaced. Can you provide evidence to defend your opinion? The only rich white woman that has been introduced to us in the novel is Mrs. Dalton. Mrs. Dalton does not represent all rich white women.
Gomez, Conny
Pg 79
In response to your summary, why do you think it was necessary for Jan and Mary to get drunk? Is it an escape? Or do they want Bigger to feel comfortable with them so that Bigger thinks that they too are humans like him? Also, why do you think Bigger joins them (as in, he drinks as well)?
Hernandez, Kassandra
Pg. 80
Correction, Mary Dalton did not give Bigger the Communist pamphlets. It was Jan. I think you actually meant to say Jan instead of Mary because otherwise your summary would not make sense. This is how I understood what you summarized: 1) Mary gave Bigger the papers so he could read them on his spare time. 2) Bigger drove off. So in this case, Mary is no longer a passenger in the car. 3) Somehow, Mary is in the car again after he drove off. Now, he is taking her back home. 4) They both arrive home and Mary is drunk… Do you understand my point now?
Criticized by: Dr. SIlVERIA
Gene Dalusongure
ReplyDeletePage 46
I agree with Gene because bigger feel he have to act a certain way around white people.Bigger believe that the white people wants blacks to be submissive when in the presents of white people.I believe this made bigger feel less of a man but he did it anyways because he needed the money and he want to change the way he was living. at the end of the day Mr. Dalton had the power to give him or not give the job depending on how bigger was acting an how he would act when hired, therefore bigger knew what he had to do too get and keep the job. Syrice Daure
Larry Beasley
Page 71
I agree because anytime you go somewhere you never been before you can tend to feel unwelcome or unwanted this can be an organic feeling because this happen to me a number of times ,so i can see why bigger feel out of place in a all white restaurant and him being the only black person in there to most this can be an odd scene, as you can see bigger feel unconfirtable when being the only blacks person aroumded by whites . Syrice Daure
Johnny Le
page 73
in the response to the quote there a lot of good information written down but its unclear on the way its been written.I believe you should go over the response to the quote and make it more clear to understand your ideas and beliefs on your quote. Syrice Daure
Sabina Torres
Page57
I agree because all white people dont act the same and you can see that in the story by Jan,Mary and Peggy they all show that ,that all whites dont act the same.in the story they show that they all care for bigger and what he do in life. Syrice Daure
Gene Dalusong (pg.46)
ReplyDeleteI agree with Gene about Bigger being paranoid and afraid when he finally arrives to Dalton’s home. I can’t blame Bigger for acting that way because back then colored people were segregated from whites. This made it very awkward for Bigger to be in Dalton’s home asking for a job because his color might get in between them.
Eberardo Lopez (pg.50)
Building on what Eberardo said about Bigger not looking at Mr. Dalton’s eyes showing lower class, higher class, and who has more authority. I would like to add that Bigger can’t look at Dalton’s eyes because the fact that his white Bigger is very intimidated by him. An, Bigger is afraid of how they are going to treat him because of the racism that was going on at this time.
Julio Cervantes (pg.54)
I agree with Julio about someone who lowers their eyes and head shows that someone else is above them. But in the other hand this shows power, respect, and class. I think Bigger is doing a very good job on getting the job because that’s why his at Mr. Dalton’s house.
Deante Turner (pg.63)
I would like to add that Bigger’s response when he sees the car is not surprising because I would expect someone who is a millionaire to have a very fancy and expensive car. I also would like to ask if Bigger knows his job because he wasn’t sure how to greet Mary and just did what first came in mind.
By: Ricardo Martinez
deante turner pg 63. i feel what you saying bigger do think that all white people are rich until he meet dalton i havent read the story but from what i been hearing he's very steriotipical...tyree yiii
ReplyDeletejuan mora pg 45. yea burh he wasb spooked when hwe was in they hood i see i want to know what was going there his head when he was there it say he's scared but like what was the look on his face yaa dig...tyree
jenny pg 48 i dont get what you saying how was he intimadated you no you didnt right alot but i can kinda see what youy talking about and what do the pic mean...tyree
jessica lopez pg77 i fa show agree that he drink way to much he need to sloew he's on the verge were he can kill his self at a young age. it seem like he drink till he cant see and he smoke prolly 2 or 3 packs of ciggarets aye day
Buna Chan
ReplyDeletePg. 63
I agree with Buna because of the fact that he did say that by driving the car he felt power and by saying that it was that men are stereotyped to be really into mechanics. But also I would argue that this quote has to do with the postcolonial lens because of the fact that bigger was a poor colored man in Chicago and by driving the car it will show that he has power because I’m guessing that back then colored people didn’t really get to drive cars a lot so, driving a car was a big step and it would show that he has the power to do so.
-Erika Lopez
Karina Macias
Pg. 67
I agree with Karina because of she pointed out the postcolonial part of the quote by saying that bigger started getting mad because they were been rude to him and he started to get mad. I also would add that even though this book was based on the 1940’s this situation is still going on now days people is always judge based on skin color or race.
-Erika Lopez
Christopher Soto (page 47)
ReplyDeleteI agree with Christopher Soto because Bigger knew that he was in a place that eventually wasn't of his belongings. Bigger was afraid because he didn't know how Mr. Dalton would threat him having in mind that Bigger was a black person and Mr. Dalton was white. Also he was nervous because he didn't know if Mr. Dalton would give the job to him.
Dennis Garcia (page 51)
Building on what Dennis Garcia said Bigger was scared because he thought that Mr. Dalton will discover all his mistakes (delinquency acts) he had done by questioning him. It means that Mr. Dalton would refuse to hire Bigger. He also might be scared because he thought that Mr. Dalton would call the police and tell them that Bigger were a delinquent, so the officers would take him to jail.
Heriberto Lorenzo (page 67)
I agree with Heriberto Lorenzo because even thought Bigger is a black guy, he is building a relationship with a white man. Is normally that he is nervous and also confused because he almost never share words with white people, but now that he is working for a white family he would have to adapt to a new environment in which he would be rounded of white folks.
- Norma Luna
Karina Mecias ( Page 67)
ReplyDeleteI agree with what you said because he expected Mary and Jan to be stuck up white people , like the rest. But he was confused on why they were so nice to him. He didnt know how to react, he kept thinking Mr.Dalton was watching his every move like it was all a setup to see how far Mary can push Bigger.
Larry Beasly ( Page 71 )
To build on what you said, Bigger was also afraid to walk in because thats a restaurant where he usually goes. When he walked in they all knew him , and he felt akward and suspicious on what they would think of him and being with a white men and women.
Sabina Torres (Page 57)
I totally agree with what your point is and why you chose postcolonial. Myself i feel that we are often stereotyped as minorities on not being smart enough or being able to meet white people standards. We often catch ourselves saying "talk white" in an interview or when writing a paper. I think that bigger has a problem with this because he doesnt want to make a mistake and say something Mr.Dalton wouldnt like so he barely says anything. All he says is "Yessum" , short responses.
Deante Turner ( Page 63)
Building on what you said he is always being very catious on what comes out his mouth and his actions.He will always give short responses like "yesssum". I beleive because he isnt trying to loose his job due to something he said or did . I think he also feels that they are very different type of people so he has to try to meet their standards and act shy or say nothing at all.
- * Sheila Blandon
Juan Mora
ReplyDeletePg 45
I agree with Juan because he showed how just because the movie shows this races in this way don’t mean that it is truly this real in reality, and that movies always show the typical types of race settings. Then when we see that a neighborhood is really not what’s in the movies that when we rally start to look back or take a step back and think why we just assumed that the movie setting is right.
Karina Macias
Pg 67
To build on what you said when everyone is looked at in a piecing manner they start to self judge and wonder why they are being looked at in that way. And with that said when we start to self judge that is when we start to get angry at the fact we don’t really “comprehend” what it is we are trying to figure out, and then it becomes an internal conflict.
Jessica Lopez
Pg 77
I totally agree with Jessica because it was true that bigger was not use to being around white people and was not use to people buying him drinks all though Mary and Jan bought the food they ate at that restaurant. I really agree with the fact he took advantage of them and drank with them anyways. With this it shows that if it’s free to him he would take it, or the opportunity.
Kassandra Hernandez
Pg 80
I agree with Kassandra that Mary need Bigger’s help to get her out the car but I disagree that this means she is a dependant women. When people become drunk they do become dependant but that’s only because they are intoxicated, that quote where she was drunk doesn’t really show if in her everyday life she is truly independent or not.
-Johnny le
Heriberto L. (pg.67)
ReplyDeleteI think you understood the concept of the quote well but I feel like there is something missing. I would suggest using more detail about why Bigger is confused and upset after shaking Jan's hand and how exactly does the color difference show postcolonial. I would have written about how bigger might feel that he is inferior to Jan because he is black. Question: Does Jan being White and Bigger being black make him feel inferior to Jan?
Jose G. (pg.69)
Good job paraphrasing but I think you need to remember to add which lens you are referring to when you do your annotation. I have a different point of view of the quote, I think that Bigger and his friends mean that they are going to have to deal with race issues but they will have there change in the future in which there will be no color or class issues. Question: Do you think if what they imagined actually happened would bigger and his friends be happy?
Edvin P. (pg.70)
I think you did well paraphrasing but suggest adding more detail to you annotation to the postcolonial lens. I understand what you were trying to say but felt that I just needed a little more of describing how the lens relates to Bigger being in the car with two white people. I would add that he felt uncomfortable because he felt that even though they think their equal he saw it as that he was being judged because of Bigger’s skin color. Question: Do you really feel like Bigger was being forced to?
Gene D. (pg.46)
I can understand the emotions that Bigger is feeling and how it deals with the postcolonial lens their color relationship but I am confused about the picture and how it fits in with the relationship between Bigger and Mr. Dalton.
Jennifer C. (pg.48)
I agree that he is using quit a bit of imagery in the quote but I think you should have talked a little more of what vivid ideas Bigger gives the reader relate to the picture more by letting us know how the picture relates to what Bigger was imagining.
Alejandro D. (pg.52)
I think you did a good job paraphrasing and using the Marxist lens but I think that you could have gone a little more in depth explaining how Bigger's new job would better his situation dealing with money.
Kassandra H. (pg. 80)
I get what you mean in your annotation but I can’t put my finger around when you say that this shows that she is dependant wouldn’t it be independent and I suggest you put the lens that you are talking about.
-Sabina Torres
ReplyDelete-57
-I agree with Sabina because everyone has to work hard to earn everything they need in their life, in this way there won’t be people at the street asking for money. I also agree with her about how people have to work with other people no matter if there are white people working with black people.
-Jose Guardado
-Karina Macias
-67
-I agree with Karina because everyone has values and other people have to respect it. But I also would argue that people don’t feel ignorant if other people act in different ways over other people.
-Jose Guardado
-Larry Beasley
-71
-Building on what Larry said I agree because a log time ago white people were separate from black people and when they were together they have a lot of problems in example is discrimination from white people to black people.
-Jose Guardado
-Valeria Ambriz
-78
-It would be good if you could clarify what you said about wealthy white people are seen as “decent people with manners.” It made me a little confused.
-Jose Guardado
Julio Cervantes (pg.54)
ReplyDeleteI agree with what Julio said because since Mr. Dalton is rich and white, Bigger feels as if Mr. Dalton is superior therefore Bigger shows that by watching him with lowered eyes rather then just looking at him straight into his eyes, and making direct contact. Also Bigger thinks he should act in a way that shows white people that they are in control just because they are upper class.
Edvin Pablo (pg.70)
I agree with Edvin that the quote is postcolonial but I disagree when he said “bigger doesn’t want to sit in the car with these two people but they make him and force him”. I disagree because Bigger wasn’t being forced; he was doing it because he wanted to and because he needed the money. Therefore Bigger already knew that was going to happen but still decided to go and ask for the job. I also disagree because Bigger never mentioned that he didn’t want to do it he was just thinking about what Jack and Gus and G.H would say but he never said it would be a bad thing.
Alejandro Diaz (pg.52)
I agree with Alejandro that this quote relates to the Marxist lens because now that Bigger has a job he won’t have to steal. Also now that he is going to get money he can help his family get out of poverty and go up the social class. Another good thing is that now as he helps his family he then is going to have more responsibility and that would help him mature and become a man.
Ms. Paraiso (pg.44)
I agree with Ms. Paraiso that it is imagery but it’s also psychoanalytic because Bigger thinks that by him having a gun it would make him more superior and therefore be able to have the guts to go to the white neighborhood and not freak out.
I agree with Karina (pg. 67) because it did seem like Jan and Mary were trying to confuse Bigger or make him feel uncomfortable because they were acting a little too friendly. On the other hand………. Bigger should not have expected them to be like white people were in the movies, so he had fault in feeling that way too.
ReplyDeleteBuilding on what Eberardo (pg. 50) was saying, Bigger didn’t know what to expect because he had never been in the presence of a rich white man and he didn’t know how he should have presented himself when he was approached.
Building on what Edvin (pg. 70) was saying, Bigger feels that Mary is taking advantage of him by making him pick up Jan and having them meet, so he could become uncomfortable.
Building on what Heriberto (pg. 67) was saying, Bigger called Jan “Sir” because that’s how he thought he was supposed to speak to a white man. But Jan wanted Bigger to call him by his name instead of sir because he thought that blacks and white were equal
Christopher Soto
ReplyDeleteP 47
I agree with Christopher Soto about Bigger’s uncomfortable attitude in the house in the way he acted in an uneasy situation. It was his first time being in a white home, first time meeting Mr. Dalton, and at this time there were a lot differences between whites and African Americans by social, economic, and lifestyle terms. He also assumed he wasn’t equal to Mr. Dalton.
Alejandro Diaz
P 52
I agree with Alejandro Diaz. Bigger was a robber before he got the job with a white rich family. Marxist-lens plays a important role on each individual like for instance: Bigger didn’t think anymore about robbing people or things like that, instead he started being a good person with a formal, legitimate job.
Heriberto Lorenzo
P 67
I agree with Heriberto. This happened a half century ago so at that time the effects of postcolonial were prevalent. It was rare the times you did see whites and blacks together. That’s why Bigger got confused when Jan (white) talked to him in a friendly way, and treating him like an equal.
Valeria Ambriz
P 78
I agree with this student’s statement about Feminist/Marxist-lens. Mary belonged to a rich family so having that she automatically had the possibilities to have and to do whatever she wished. For instance, she said that she went with her boyfriend to Florida and had fun. In addition, at that moment she said that she was with her boyfriend drinking and enjoying her good life, which was possible because she was white and rich.
GUDBERTO M.
e.
ReplyDeleteSabina Torres, (56), Good point i think that is related to postcolonial lens because mary explains how they have helped the colored folks, and for color folks is the same as working for them to survive and eat, but have you thought that this quote also relates to Marxist lens, because Mary has worked in that house for 20 years and probably with good pay, just like Bigger is going to get $25, maybe people stay in the same place because people respect them, and pay them good money, just like the Daltons treat Mary. The more they pay you the longer you will stay. If you need the money to survive like you said then you will stay in that same place, and not move to other jobs. Also by what the quote says, "A rolling stone gathers no money", can mean that if you constantly move from jobs you don’t gather moss, have you thought that moss is green so it can represent money. -Eberardo
ReplyDeleteKarina Macias, (67), Building on what you have the understanding of your quote that he was angry toward Miss Dalton and Jan because he couldn’t understand what there intentions toward him, because they were acting weird and polite the couldn’t understand. I think that because you didn’t explain what focus you can relate it to postcolonial because higher level class toward lower class communication is bad they usually dont talk to them, and act angry to them, but in this case with bigger they are acting polite toward his and his confuse because he thought white people were different. so you can think about that. - Eberardo
Go Fremont Tigers! ....
ReplyDeleteEdvin Pablo
ReplyDeletePg. 70
I agree that is post colonial that Bigger is kind of being force to sit in the car with Mary and Jan, but I think him actually driving them around in the car, proves that have more power than Bigger to tell him what to do. He feels embarrass because he doesn’t his friends him driving the rich white people around.
Valeria Ambriz
ReplyDeletePg.78
I agree with Valeria saying that it’s not “normal” for rich white women to act inappropriate around people. This just shows that Mary isn’t what she seems. She’s an outspoken girl that fights for her opinion, and gets into trouble as well.
Kassandra Hernandez
ReplyDeletePg.80
I agree that Mary is depending on Bigger to carry her in the house. She shouldn’t been so reckless about drinking when she knows she suppose to be at the University. Would if her father was there to see at this state? He will probably blame Bigger and fire him because of her actions.
Jose Guardado
ReplyDeletePg. 69
I agree but with power that people can win the revolution, but the quote seems like a post colonial lens. Showing when the Communist wins the revolution, the people with the less power, will have the same power as the people that’s on top of the world. It reminds me of the colonist fighting the Revolutionary War so they can be independent and have rights for the citizens.
Ebany Depron – (P. 74): Yes, he could have just done it to get with “the mood,” but what could closely be looked at is the difference between them and the social contradictions as the reason to why he drank. Since he was black and Mary and Jan were white, maybe he just drank because they kept asking him to. A perspective on it is looking at it in a sort of postcolonial point of view where Jan and Mary were paying for the food and drinks and Bigger was merely pulled to tag along. It can be seen that the difference in economic status between Bigger and Jan and Mary. Looking back, why didn’t he just not go in with them in the first place and disregard her crying?
ReplyDelete-Buna Chan
Juan Mora – (P. 45): Because of how he realized that it wasn’t like what he had seen in the movies, what psychological effects may this have had on him? It would come to thought that if it was exactly like what he had seen, he would have been a little bit more intimidated than how he felt since it WASN’T like the movies. The matter of him just realizing that it wasn’t like the movies doesn’t necessarily define the application of the postcolonial lens because as I look at it, the scenery of this part actually was what depicted the psychoanalytical lens. The way the surroundings around him had made the excited feelings he felt disappear really portrays the invocation of his superego and whether it was right for him to be in such a community.
-Buna Chan
Dennis Garcia – (P. 51): It’s actually more about the psychoanalytic lens. The uneasy feelings are having him use his ego to determine what he should do next. Whether or not if what he is doing or what he would do was right. At the same time, his id breaks out when he tries to find his paper in his vest pockets. The way the author describes him acting trying to find it sort of portrays that “animalistic” side of him breaking loose.
-Buna Chan
Catalina Mendoza – (P. 53): It can be seen that it’s not too much on imagery, but an emphasis of the feminist lens. The author really depicts the father as in power and super business official-like. Mary is being nosy and Mr. Dalton asks her to leave them to their interview. This shows the emphasis of male supremacy where the business and job stuff is supposed to be a male role of a job. Also, the way the author portrays her way of speech; it makes it seem like the author is portraying the female stereotype of women or girls not supposed to be meddling in a man’s business.
-Buna Chan
I appreciate the picture Brenda Reyes-Munoz chose because it captures the imagery of the deer in the headlights. I question if Bigger really might be anxious on Mr. Dalton’s next decision. He might just be petting the cat because he wants to and not meant to scare Bigger.
ReplyDeleteI question why Juan Mora does not have a picture for his episodic note. I think that it would help me to understand more of his thoughts on the quote chosen. I’d like to add that Juan could have also stated that many people expect more than what they should not expect.
I somewhat like the image shown in Dennis Garcia’s episodic notes, but the image could have shown an African American being observed and it might have made a better point. People in power do try to intimidate others who they feel are below them although Mr. Dalton was probably just waiting for an answer and not trying to “scare the black off” of Bigger.
I understand the point that Julio Cervantes is making about Bigger and Mr. Dalton’s situation. It is like a Master and slave situation; the Master is the king of the jungle
and Bigger is a little mouse running from a cat. I appreciate the picture chosen because it shows a sign of anxiety and stress.
I agree with Heriberto Lorenzo claim because he shows knowledge of cultural relations. I disagree with him because how could shaking hands with a white guy make you mad or confused.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Dennis Garcia because he says that “Bigger felt uneasy about being in an interview with Mr. Dalton.” This show that he really understands what bigger is going through inside.
Alejandro Diaz should elaborate more on how Mr. Dalton asks bigger a question. He should say what Biggers answer was to the question. Knowing the answer to the question may or may not change Mr. Daltons point of view of bigger.
I disagree with Jennifer Castillo because I don’t know how you can be intimidated by a older women. On the other hand I do agree with her because he does show a vivid image of the women and her eyes.
Christopher Soto, (p.47). To build on what you said, I definitely agree that Bigger did feel uncomfortable being around white people and also getting a white man as a boss. It can bring him a though of slavery since he would always be talking about how white people are racist. –Jessica Lopez
ReplyDeleteEberardo Lopez, (p.50). I agree with Eberardo because when ever someone doesn’t look at the other persons face when talking they are either ashamed of something or they feel inferior to the other person. It can be either based on ones economic or social status.
–Jessica Lopez
Brenda Reyes Munoz (p.49). To build on what Brenda said, I do agree that Bigger had been feeling very restless having Mr.Dalton around and as a future boss but when his cap feel off that didn’t stop his feeling of uneasiness but he also had a greater embarrassment towards him not only to keep him waiting but also making him feel as a klutz.
–Jessica Lopez
Julio Cervantes (p.54). I agree with what Julio is saying because it definitely shows how intimidated Bigger feeling being around white people and above all because they are rich. To him money is power, power that he wants and that he envies from white people. Being in his position makes him feel as though hi is less of a person because of his economic and social status. –Jessica Lopez
Gene Delusong Pg.46
ReplyDeleteI disagree with Gene because Bigger is feeling uncomfortable and thinks he is going to slip because he is in a white man’s house. Since Bigger does not like whites, it’s like he is being a hypocrite because he is taking a job from him. Also, Bigger is not used to being in a white mans house, he does not want to dirty his house and loose the job.
Chris Soto Pg.47
I agree with Chris Soto that Bigger is uncomfortable sitting in the chair because he is in a man’s white house. Building on what he said, I can relate to Bigger feeling uncomfortable with a personal experience. When I went to my sister in laws house for the first time, I felt uncomfortable because they were “othering” me, by speaking in their Cambodian language. I felt very uncomfortable in their house, however, if they were speaking my native language Spanish, I would have felt comfortable, because I know Spanish.
Jennifer Castillo Pg.48
Your annotation was simple and greatly put together. I would add that Bigger is assuming the old lady is blind, and was frightened because he may have never seen a blind lady. I would argue that Bigger had an imagination of his own, visualizing the lady as a ghost because of her white hair.
Deante Turner Pg. 63
I disagree that Bigger was judging white people based on what he had seen in the theater because Bigger knows how whites are based on the community he lives in and perhaps personal experience. The movie was just an idea of how some whites are, but not exactly all whites. I would argue that Bigger is confused about whites, because he personally thought that all whites are the same, and now seeing that Mary was not acting like she was at first, he does not know how what to think about whites.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Christopher Soto, that Bigger is uncomfortable in his surroundings since he is around white people. To start with Bigger has never liked white people and now him being in there presence made him feel like if they were looking down on and made him feel more uncomfortable since he was going to be his new boss.
ReplyDelete–Kassandra Hernandez
I do not agree with Sabina Torres, because there is other ways colored people can make a living not just by working with white people. Although this is how it is shown in the book because for Bigger it was either staying jobless or going to work with Mr. Dalton.
–Kassandra Hernandez
I agree with Larry Beasley, because like you said, colored people weren’t seen with white people. And still nowadays I still don’t see that many white people with black people. But if he did not want to go in why did he go in at the end. Was he scared of people looking at him and later on judging him about whop he was? Over all your analysis was clear and good.
-Kassandra Hernandez
I agree with Eberardo Lopez, because like he said lower class people do look at the higher class more powerful. Bigger not looking into Mr. Dalton’s eyes made it feel as if he was lower than him. Mr. Dalton is superior to Bigger. (Referring to white people are more powerful than colored people.)
-Kassandra Hernandez
Christopher Soto
ReplyDeletePage 47
Why does Bigger feel scared in the white house? Has he done anything bad to them? The fact that Bigger seems out of place is reasonably. But why does he feel scared? It doesn’t make sense at all. In the middle of the chapter why found out that he has never done anything wrong to the white people because he could be in a horrible situation. Is he sacred that he might do something that could cost him a lot in the future.
Brenda Reyes
Page 49
The fact that Bigger is trembling makes lots of sense because he is in the spotlight. The metaphor used is very relevant, Bigger anxiety is watched from his about to become new boss. The driver or the new boss is debating either to have the deer live or in this case to give Bigger his job. I totally understand what you are saying but does Bigger’s anxiety toward this small situation affect him in the long run?
Karina Macias
Page 67
All thru out the first part of the book the black males and females make the white seem evil toward the blacks. Bigger has grown up in this society so it doesn’t surprise me see him dwell on this situation. What does surprise me is that Karina had a good anaylsis on what their true intensions were. I believe that they need people to join their party and saw that blacks could do all the nasty work and they would be caught instead of the whites who organize it.
Jessica Lopez
Page 77
He doesn’t only take it because he wants to take advantage of them maybe he was scared that he might be fired over it. He felt left out so he decided to accompany them in their little fun. But he might not feel good about it later.
Conny Gomez
Eberardo Lopez: (pg 50)
ReplyDeleteI disagree with Eberardo because there could be many reasons why Bigger would be looking down at the floor instead of looking at Mr. Dalton’s eyes while talking to him. Instead of Bigger being intimidated about the difference in their financial status, he might just be really nervous about the interview maybe because that he’s scared that he might not get the job and he needs the job in order to help support himself and his family.
Genesis Rodriguez: (pg 55)
He says that Mr. Dalton is changing Bigger’s mind about white people. What did Bigger think about white peoples’ before and who can provide some evidence that his mind is changing? Also, what organization does Mr. Dalton run that has to do with Black/African American people?
Sabina Torres: (pg 57)
I disagree with Sabina because it’s not only “White” people who runs’ things which people work for, but people of every race runs things that different people work for. But I do agree that people have to put up with all of the hard work that comes toward them and keep going on with it in order to live life everyday. I would argue that they wouldn’t have to live like that with all of the hard work that don’t like if they finish school, go to college, and have a career that they love to do.
Larry Beasley: (pg 71)
My claim to what Larry said is that Bigger would feel awkward going into a restaurant with two white people maybe because of what people would say about him. In this time period, people would criticize him for being black and on top of that, people would criticize Mr. and Mrs. Dalton for bringing a black guy in the restaurant with them. He may not have wanted to make the Daltons’ look bad and have other people talking about them.
***POSTED BY MS. P, ON BEHALF OF VALERIA AMBRIZ***
ReplyDeleteBrandon Stalker (Pg.66):
In reading your response it made me think about the Post Colonial lens rather than Psychoanalytic. This is because I see Jan as trying to take over the colonized people and create his own type of government. The violence that is happening to try to get what he wants is like a war that has to happen in order for the Communist party to win.
Gene Dulasong (Pg.46)
Adding to what Gene said, I think that Bigger thought that Mr. Dalton was expecting him to act “black”, so Bigger tried his best to be proper, so there wouldn’t be any excuse for him to not get the job. It shows that the person giving someone else a job has more power, and the person that wants the job has to make the boss like them and do anything that they tell them to do.
Christopher Soto (Pg.47)
I agree with Christopher because he was nervous about going to a white neighborhood so that he could get to the Daltons house. Another way that I can tell that he was uncomfortable and didn’t feel safe was because he took his gun incase something happened even though he knew he didn’t need it. He also got angry just because he couldn’t decide if he should go in through the front or back door.
Dennis Garcia (Pg.51)
I disagree with Dennis. I believe that giving a person a job doesn’t mean that they are superior. To me it was more like the Marxist lens, because Bigger is trying to make a living for his family, so he accepts the job that they offered him. He is trying to get money so his family can have a better life than they have.
Valeria Ambriz!
ON BEHALF OF Pablo Calderon:
ReplyDeleteKarina Macias
Page 67
I agree with Karina because, when Mary and Jan were acting like that to Bigger, I think that they were trying to make fun of him, make Bigger feel uncomfortable or inferior they were trying to make Bigger feel that they are the best.
Conny Gomez
Page 79
I disagree with Conny because, when Jan gave the booklet to Bigger, the booklet could be about communism and Bigger could think that Jan wanted to see him involved in communism, so Jan wanted Bigger to see what communists do and make him a member of the Communist Party. If Bigger read that Communist’s help people he might get in the association.
Jennifer Castillo
Page 48
I agree with Jenny because, Mrs. Dalton was white and she had white hair, Bigger described her as a ghost because he wanted to give the readers an idea of what she looks like. Because she was blind and she did not look at the person that she was talking to she was only standing there and not moving at all.
Catalina Mendoza
Page 53
I disagree whit Catalina because, when Mary asked Bigger if he likes unions, Bigger was trying to get a job and when Mary asked him about unions he wanted to kill him because Bigger thinks that unions are filled with all communists are no good and he could go crazy.
----Pablo Calderon
***POSTED ON BEHALF OF SABINA TORRES***
ReplyDeletepg.49
I can relate to Brenda's quote due to the fact that I have been in that situation many times especially when it comes to getting ready for work. i can have to have eevrything ready to go to work and i have to make sure that i have all my work uniform ready. its habititual of me to lose my name tag and i know how strict my managers are bout that..but i finally find it i feel like a rock has been taken off my shoulder.
-Sabina Torres-
Hebierto Lorenzo
pg67
im puzzled on how this quote is focused on post colonial lens. Can Hebierto elaborate on it more and why makes him feel mad and confused at time when he shook hands with Jan?
-Sabina Torres-
Sheila Blandon
Pg.65
I stronlgy agree on what Sheila says about women being covert and clarify the definition of it for those who don't know the meaning of the word. i can say as a young women that the only way for me to get what i want is by being covert.
-Sabina Torres-
Edvin Pablo
pg.70
i can also relate this quote to a different lens which is the marixts lens. i can see how Bigger is the chauffer and Jan and Mary being the high authority. Bigger is working for the Dalton's shows that he a lower class man.